2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just bought a 2000 1500, with a 5.9

Old 12-16-2008, 07:26 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2000 1500, with a 5.9

Hey everyone!

well, I have been dying to get a Dodge Ram, love the look of them... So, I finally got a couple grand together, and went looking... Found a Burgundy 2000 with a 5.9, and offered $2200 for it. The car lot was a little reluctant at first, but then agreed, and it was mine. Ran great on the test drive, but the exhaust was real loud.. They told me that was all it needed. Well, after I left the lot, I went to the hardware store, and picked up a couple things, and headed home. I got almost home and the tranny blew out, while I was accelerating, when it blew, the engine pegged out adn blew the motor.. The guy at the mechanic shop I took it to said they did some shady crap to get it running good enough to make it off their lot, he said he sees it allot, they took the donut gasket out, to make the exhaust loud, so you couldn't hear any wierd noises from the motor and tranny... So, now I have a real nice looking Dodge Ram that will only go in reverse, and needs a new motor too... sigh.... Anyway, I am working on trying toget my money back, so I can get a different truck, I still want a Dodge.. Otherwise, I'll have to save another couple grand or so to get the motor and tranny rebuilt or replaced...

Sigh... Anyone got a totalled out Ram they want to sell cheap? hehe

JimK

Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to DODGE FORUM!!

Once you drive it off the lot, its not the dealer's problem anymore.

So, the tranny AND motor blew.....?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:00 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran

yeah.. Tranny AND motor... Well, put it this way, I was accelerating onto the freeway, and the tranny made a horrible noise, then the rpm's went through the roof, and then the check gauges light came on, and the oil pressure guage dropped to 0, the guy at the shop said it was knocking now too... So, that's not good... He told me I got screwed.. But it's going to cost more than I paid for it to fix it, unless I can get a used motor somewhere... Or BIll Gates or Warren Buffet hears about it, and gives me the cash.. which I highly doubt will happen... SO, I'm not gunna be riding until well after christmas at this rate...

Old 12-16-2008, 08:56 PM
pro tech
Rookie
Angry That sucks....but

Check into the law.....I thought a dealer had to cover a vehicle for 30 days, if it was a dealer you bought from.

I bought a used EXP in the early '80's. Had it for 27 days when I blew the timing belt at hi-way speed....bent valves..trashed the head...yada...yada....

Had it towed to the dealer. They repaired it and tried to stick me with the $900.00+ bill. Hell of alot of money back then. Said "I bought it As-Is with no warranty".

For $50.00, I had a lawyer call the manager and remind him that the law required them to cover the repairs for 30 days from the time I took possesion of the vehicle. Money well spent!

That was years ago, and here in Michigan.....your mileage may vary, but worth looking into.

Good luck.....Fock 'em back!!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW... shady mo fo's! you should drop in a new one and a built proof tranny and have a truck that will last a lifetime!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome,
but sorry to hear,,, is the truck 4wd or 2wd? nice to see a fellow Buckeye

Old 12-16-2008, 09:39 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
nice to see a fellow Buckeye
You central and east Ohio guys.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran

it's 2wd... Yeah, I'm looking for a motor and tranny... BUt I have no cash... so it'll take me a while to get it up and running again...

sigh....

It is really sharp though... Extended cab, with the dual rear doors...

nice... Interior looks like new...

Old 12-17-2008, 03:07 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow thats amazing i would be flipping out on them , its called lemon law http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/news.htm you can get you money back you bought a lemon how many miles on it

Old 12-17-2008, 03:28 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by JimkDaAdtman
It is really sharp though... Extended cab, with the dual rear doors...

nice... Interior looks like new...
We call that a Quad Cab.

Hate to see a nice Ram bite the dust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought a 2000 1500, with a 5.9