3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

06 2500 with headlight issues...TIPM?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
anelson1995
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 06 2500 with headlight issues...TIPM?

Hello all,

Nobody on any other forums had a clue so I'm hoping someone here will. I have a 06 2500, hemi, 4x4. At first the passenger side low beam stopped working. I switched to high beam and they worked fine then switched back to low and it was fine now. Everything worked great for a few weeks and it did it again and started happening often. Finally, the passenger low beam stopped working totally. A few weeks later the passenger side high beam stopped also. I've changed the bulb and swapped bulbs but that's not it. So for months at this point I have just driven it as is....drivers side lights only plus the fog lights. Then, a few days ago out of no where the passenger side high beams worked for one drive. I shut the truck off and then tried again the next time I drove it and it was out again. Everyone I talk to says that it wouldn't be the headlight switch or the multi function switch because that would mess up both sides, not just the passenger. I've checked the wiring to the best of my ability and all seems right and grounds are good. After doing some more research I'm wondering if it would be the TIPM. Does that sound right and if so is there anything I can do to find out besides putting myself at the mercy of the dealership? I unplugged the headlight harness from it and plugged it back in but no luck. Also, if that is it, and I can find a TIPM used or even new from someplace other than the dealership for less, am I still going to have to take it to the dealer to get programmed? Any help would be appreciated since I'm now driving nights. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt it's the TIPM. Have you installed any aftermarket high output bulbs? Did you check the wiring harness and make sure they were pushed in tight into the plastic connector? I have a feeling that when you got in there and changed out bulbs, you loosened up the one side connector and that may be the reason it wasn't working. I would triple check all your connections. I think it's something simple as that.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
anelson1995

This problem started and ended on the same bulb. Nothing had been worked on or modified. I checked all harnesses and wires. I didn't try switching bulbs until after the high and low both stopped working. I've been told that the headlight switch and the multi function switch would affect both sides, not just the passenger side and in some cases would also affect the other lighting on that side. I even checked wiring harnesses for corrosion or a loose wire. Nothing. Any other ideas here?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:03 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

check the fuses under the hood.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ****yhern
check the fuses under the hood.
Only if they are loose as he said they weould work and then stop. Once a fuse os blown, they stop altogether. Also, headlights have fuses and relays.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

but now they are not working at all correct? . i am aware of the lights working on fuses and relays. maybe the fuses were loose and would come in and out of contact and could have blown. Just trying to help the guy look for possible problems. anything is possible.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:13 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

are you getting a bulb out message on your dash?

Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at an FSM for a 2005 2500--I'm not sure its exactly the same---but, from that it appears that a signal is received from the headlight switch or the multi function switch (high beam) and this commands the FCM to send voltage to the headlamps. I was hoping they may have used a relay in the power dist center, but on the FSM I have, it looks as if its direct from the FCModule buried under the PDC. My guess at this point would be to see if the signal from the headlight switch is being received, and if so, replace the FCM, if not, its the switch. I'm leaning towards the FCM only because the low and high beams are sent on different circuits to the headlights. With the truck running, and the headlights off, pull the multifuction back as if you are flashing your high beams to pass---if the highbeams come on, they are getting the signal from the multifunction switch, if not, most likely FCM is bad. My guess on this would be dealer only for your year-----but-----hopefully, you might still have a warranty?????? 3yr 36K bumper to bumper.

This is my take on it---hope you get it figured out

Old 01-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Last Dodge Ever
Default Beware: $858+ tax headlight computer module replacement

I am having the exact same headlight failures you describe. I wonder how many others have experienced this exact same problem?

From DAY ONE with my new 2006 Ram, every month or so my neighbor kept telling me I had a headlight out when he saw me drive home. I thought he was nuts cause every time I got out and looked, both headlights worked just fine. I wish I had dug into this further to see if a headlight really was malfunctioning while I was under warranty, but the headlights were working whenever I looked at them.

About a month ago I noticed the driver side low-beam was out.
I changed the bulb. I tried wiggling connections and swapping bulbs but that side has not worked in over a month.

Today, I just got the call from my Dodge Dealer saying my headlight computer is failing and it will cost $858 + tax to replace and reprogram. I asked them why it apparently had been failing intermittantly for 3+ years and not detected on any other service appointments? They said, "yeah, sorry about that." The dealer then asked if I had purchased the extended warranty and did I want them to fix it?

I took delivery of my 2006 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4 Hemi brand new from the factory from my local dealer in Feb '06. I have had the complete, 3000 mile, Schedule-B, service/maintenance performed religiously. Don't they plug in and check the computer on these services?

My commute to work is only 7 miles and I do not off road. I can't believe a function as crucial as a single headlight is dependant on a $900 computer, and that Dodge has the nerve to stick me with the bill to fix this on my own. $858+ tax is more than you would pay for a high end desktop computer, monitor, keyboard, and printer.

I bought a $7K Mazda P/U in 1986 and drove it 23 years and NEVER had one incident of equipment failure, not even a lightbulb.
When I get around to buying my next vehicle I'ts not likely to be a Dodge unless they pony up, and I'll pay a lot more attention to warranty coverages, extended warranties, and maintenance requirements. So dissappointed!!!

Last edited by Last Dodge Ever; 01-04-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Last Dodge Ever

Originally Posted by anelson1995
Hello all,

Nobody on any other forums had a clue so I'm hoping someone here will. I have a 06 2500, hemi, 4x4. At first the passenger side low beam stopped working. I switched to high beam and they worked fine then switched back to low and it was fine now. Everything worked great for a few weeks and it did it again and started happening often. Finally, the passenger low beam stopped working totally. A few weeks later the passenger side high beam stopped also. I've changed the bulb and swapped bulbs but that's not it. So for months at this point I have just driven it as is....drivers side lights only plus the fog lights. Then, a few days ago out of no where the passenger side high beams worked for one drive. I shut the truck off and then tried again the next time I drove it and it was out again. Everyone I talk to says that it wouldn't be the headlight switch or the multi function switch because that would mess up both sides, not just the passenger. I've checked the wiring to the best of my ability and all seems right and grounds are good. After doing some more research I'm wondering if it would be the TIPM. Does that sound right and if so is there anything I can do to find out besides putting myself at the mercy of the dealership? I unplugged the headlight harness from it and plugged it back in but no luck. Also, if that is it, and I can find a TIPM used or even new from someplace other than the dealership for less, am I still going to have to take it to the dealer to get programmed? Any help would be appreciated since I'm now driving nights. Thanks.
I am having the exact same headlight failures you describe. I wonder how many others have experienced this exact same problem?

From DAY ONE with my new 2006 Ram, every month or so my neighbor kept telling me I had a headlight out when he saw me drive home. I thought he was nuts cause every time I got out and looked, both headlights worked just fine. I wish I had dug into this further to see if a headlight really was malfunctioning while I was under warranty, but the headlights were working whenever I looked at them.

About a month ago I noticed the driver side low-beam was out.
I changed the bulb. I tried wiggling connections and swapping bulbs but that side has not worked in over a month.

Today, I just got the call from my Dodge Dealer saying my headlight computer is failing and it will cost $858 + tax to replace and reprogram. I asked them why it apparently had been failing intermittantly for 3+ years and not detected on any other service appointments? They said, "yeah, sorry about that." The dealer then asked if I had purchased the extended warranty and did I want them to fix it?

I took delivery of my 2006 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4 Hemi brand new from the factory from my local dealer in Feb '06. I have had the complete, 3000 mile, Schedule-B, service/maintenance performed religiously. Don't they plug in and check the computer on these services?

My commute to work is only 7 miles and I do not off road. I can't believe a function as crucial as a single headlight is dependant on a $900 computer, and that Dodge has the nerve to stick me with the bill to fix this on my own. $858+ tax is more than you would pay for a high end desktop computer, monitor, keyboard, and printer.

I bought a $7K Mazda P/U in 1986 and drove it 23 years and NEVER had one incident of equipment failure, not even a lightbulb.
When I get around to buying my next vehicle I'ts not likely to be a Dodge unless they pony up, and I'll pay a lot more attention to warranty coverages, extended warranties, and maintenance requirements. So dissappointed!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 2500 with headlight issues...TIPM?