1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 four wheel drive issue

Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 PM
trelfazz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2002 four wheel drive issue

hey guy's, I've got a problem.
winters here and the other morning I flipped the switch(****, what ever its called) to put it in 4 high and nothing happened. No light on the switch, no four wheel drive. So i thought ok fuse is out, checked it, all fuses are fine. I get no warning lights on the dash and no error codes from the ecs. Durango drives fine it just wont go into 4x4. I can flip the **** all over the place an nothing happens.

Can someone maybe point me in the right direction cause I'm lost and really miss 4x4?
Thanks

Old 11-21-2008, 11:08 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

check the wire connections on the tcase, but you might have a bad module on the tcase(im not sure what its called, you should be able to do a search for this problem and find the answer), or it could possibly be a bad switch if non of the lights on the switch come on (is the green 2wd light on when you start the truck?)

Old 11-22-2008, 10:23 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TF:

Try a battery disconnect reset. Remove the neg terminal, then depress the brake pedal for a minute, then reconnect. If this does not work, if the fuses are all good, and you can not hear any noises below when moving the switch, I think you have a bad TCCM. That would be transfer case control module.

This is located under the dash behind/beside the hood latch handle. You can find them in boneyards for less than $100, and I think a new one is closer to $400.

Don

Old 11-23-2008, 03:18 PM
trelfazz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
check the wire connections on the tcase, but you might have a bad module on the tcase(im not sure what its called, you should be able to do a search for this problem and find the answer), or it could possibly be a bad switch if non of the lights on the switch come on (is the green 2wd light on when you start the truck?)
no the green light does not come on, is there a way to check if the switch is bad?

Old 11-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can test the voltage drop across the switch if you have a meter. It should be .1 or less. You can also set the a meter to Ohm's and hit the switch to ensure you have continuity. No power can be flowing for an ohm test though and an ohm test can lie.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TF:

I really think your switch is ok. While it is the cheaper and easier repair, they don't get used much. Also, I would think you have have some lighting on in one of the positions if you had power to the switch.

My money is on the TCCM.

Don

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 four wheel drive issue