3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5.7L Hemi V8 > 8.0L Magnum V10?

Old 10-30-2008, 01:37 PM
SHNOOL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotta feed them horses
Wow a lot of ppl are amazed by my pulling a big boat. I'll explain then. I have a 5th wheel hitch on my truck. We have a 2 masted iron hulled sailboat down in Florida that we had lifted out of the water onto a trailer. I have moved it from pensecola to carabelle twice .. not on the interstate.
It's not like I'm pulling this thing out of the water on a ramp... they have a big crane that they used to lift it out of the water. That thing is not that hard to get going.. but when it comes time to stop it pushes even with its own set of brakes.. not fun.. But the point is that truck will pull more than a hemi ... a hemi couldn't do it.. not enough torque and obviously the frame of a 1500 isn't stable enough.. and by the way I beleive my 5th wheel hitch is rated for 20,000 lbs.. I'll have to check on the sticker on the hitch... and my normal hitch says 14,000... is that abnormal???
OK, maybe the 5th wheel is rated 40,000lbs.. nobody doubts the hitch will do it!!! it is the truck... you got the wrong mule tilling your fields man. Either that or your steel hull don't weigh in as much as you think...

I am just beside myself impressed though... because that is SO over the top! I thought I was nuts.

PS... if they lift it for you, and put it on a cradle, then that cradle is on a trailer... That is called a flatbed trailer with a cradle... not a sailboat trailer. Just saying. Man (send me an private msg of the boat!!! still jealous)

Old 11-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

Ummm sorry I don't know how to send a private message... The trailer is not a flatbed... and they do lift it on to a "trailer". It sits on its keel and is supported on the sides by stabilaizer bars. I know how much it weighs because it was on a scale while on the trailer. I don't happen to have any other mules to till my field with but I do agree with you that a heavier truck would be nice.. The engine is more than capable of pulling the load.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Only time the hemi (mine anyway) ever struggled was going through the TN mountains with 6000lbs hooked behind it.
What I meant by struggle is a lack of reserve in a higher gear compared with a V10. When the transmission drops to second gear the V8 is a monster. It would be nice to have power at lower r.p.m.s so I would not have to wind up the motor.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:53 PM
v10beast
Default V10

I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500. It gots the 8.0 liter v10. It is a great truck its not much for gas mileage. But in town i get about 8 but cruising i get about 14-15. It got incredible power to blow alot of vehicles off the line. And in the mountains there is not much places that it won't go. Really great truck.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:53 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't mind finding an 03 2500 with the V10 (only 3rd gen to have it) just for fun. I saw one for sale once in Long Island last year or so.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

A 2003 2500 4X4 with the V10 would be awesome! I wish that my 2005 2500 4X4 had a V10 versus the V8.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.7L Hemi V8 > 8.0L Magnum V10?