2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS and Brake light stay on, but no brake problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
simpsonna
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and Brake light stay on, but no brake problems?

Most of the time when I start up my ABS and Brake light come on and stay on. I haven't driven it far like that to know if it will eventually go off. Usually if I turn it off and back on they go away the second time. But I'm not having any brake problems that I am noticing. It's decently warm here in GA right now so no frosting over like I read in some of the old threads and My pops and I bled the brake lines last time we replaced the brakes (a few months ago) so I don't think that's it (We could have goofed)

Could it be just a dirty or failing sensor somewhere?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:45 PM
ChargerLighting

The light in our '98 has come on before - it was just a bad wheel sensor. Aside from those I think the speed sensor near/on the rear pig can trip the lights too. We had that one go out too; sometimes the speedo wouldn't work until you hit 50mph, etc, weird stuff like that.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:02 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try cleaning the connector where it connects to the VSS on the top of the rear end, or just unplug it and plug it in a few times. If that doesn't help just replace the sensor.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Sharpsshooter
Rookie

The first thing you will want to do is check the RWAL/ABS fuse (fuse #14 in my fuse block). My lights came on and stayed on because of that.

Then check the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor (RWSS).

Always check the easiest and cheapest fix first.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

He stated that his light goes on and off, I doubt it's the fuse.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Sharpsshooter
Rookie

Mine would go off occasionally as well and the fuse was completely missing...

In all cases, I would still check the simple solution first. It only makes sense to eliminate the simple fix first.

Part of the reason I say it on these ABS/Brake light threads is that the majority of the threads do not mention the fuse. Most people suggest to clean and replace the RWSS and never mention the fuse. In my case, I replaced the sensor after researching old threads and it did not fix the problem. After it did not fix it, I dug further and I finally came upon one thread that mentioned the fuse and it fixed the problem. Many people won't ask the questions, they dig up answers from old threads, that is what I do. I put out the information for the current person and for the person who will use the thread to find their answer later.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 PM
simpsonna

I try to search for my questions before I ask them. The ones I found on this weren't specific enough to my question for me.

My truck is pretty bug free so far (besides the gas gauge) So it confused me a bit. I checked the fuse It was number 12 for me. It was fine. So per y'alls suggestion I crawled under the truck in search of the RWSS connection. Found it and cleaned it with some contact cleaner. Of the three times I started the truck after that, the lights all went out. Maybe that was all it needed. (I hope) Thanks for your help , I'll definitely let you know if it wasn't it.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:03 PM
simpsonna

And your quite right. It's best to eliminate all the cheap possibilities before giving your right leg to buy parts. haha

Old 09-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with always checking fuses first. But from what I see, the problem is usually the ABS sensor on the top of the rear diff. When the speedo doesn't work or only works after about 18 MPH, it is usually the output speed sensor in the trans...

Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 AM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the RWAL sensor

Quick Reply: ABS and Brake light stay on, but no brake problems?