1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Removing front driveshaft

Old 08-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Big Red Chicken R/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing front driveshaft

Hello everyone. Nice forum you guys got here. I just recently purchased a 2000 durango R/T and like most guys, was wanting to get some more out of it. I haven't done to much to it yet except for an intake. I was searching around on here and saw that some guys where removing there front driveshafts to get rid of the awd and get more power. I removed mine, put it in 4 high and away I went. Everything seems fine. The only thing I have noticed that is different is that it goes into gear kind of hard. Not when your moving. I'm talking about when your sitting still and take it from park to reverse or drive. It just seems to clunk into gear harder than before. I was wondering if this was normal or if there is any harm done in running it this way. I hope not because I sure like the way she runs now. Thanks guys.

Jason

Old 08-16-2008, 05:31 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it yours awd or part time. if its part time why would you put it in 4 high???
my whole front axle is out of my durango and i havnt had any problems mine is part time 4x4 not awd.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Big Red Chicken R/T

It is awd. I took out the front driveshaft to get rid of that for the nicer months of the year to make it rwd. But what about the hard gear engagement.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:17 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BC:

Only thing I can think of is that you now have all engine power going to your rear driveshaft which may be eggagerating one or more worn parts back there.

As far as running with the front shaft out in 4hi, a few folks have done it without ill effects. They also reported minimal gains if any in fuel economy.

The fun factor does increase a bit as you can let the tail hang out with the rwd.

Don

Old 08-16-2008, 10:12 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have seen no mpg gains with mine out.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Big Red Chicken R/T

Thanks for the info guys, I put it back on for now but may take it back off and try it again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing front driveshaft