2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck won't start...clicking noise

Old 07-07-2008, 09:07 PM
steelshoulder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start...clicking noise

All of the sudden last week my 2000 dakota 3.9L V6 with 80K miles wouldn't start. It was making a clicking noise when I first tried to start, then nothing. When I tried again, it started to crank, but wouldn't turn over. It eventually started after I gave it some gas and held down the accelerator for a while. It then ran as normal for the rest of my 25 mile commute. After a 10 hour work day, it started with minor hesitation. I gave the battery a full charge, suspecting that might be the problem (is the original battery). That didn't do it, still doing the same thing. I thought maybe I got some bad gas, but I'm not sure that is it. I added ISO HEET and gas treatment, but doesnt seem to make a difference. I tried again this evening and got the same symptoms...Clicking noise when I first try to start, then it will start with giving some gas then stall out. Eventually after several attempts, it will remain at idleand runand drive asnormal.Any ideas aboutwhat thiscould be??? I suspect it might be theFuel Pump, but I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing this as the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Truck won't start...clicking noise

8 years is a reallong time on the original battery. Our Dakota's are very sensitive to low battery voltage. Before you tryanything else, maybe you could stop in at Autozone or Advance or some other parts store and have the battery load tested. They do it for free. They may scan the PCM for trouble codes too, but I hear AutoZone only does it if the check engine light is on. If the battery is OK the PCM may tell you what is wrong.

Jimmy

Old 07-08-2008, 12:17 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

probably time for a new battery.
you can take it in and havie it tested, or just go ahead and replace it.
8 years is about a long as a battery ever lasts.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea id start with a new battery mine went after 3 years granted i have all the extras in the truck but still 8 years is alot they say most only last 4years before needing replacement

Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 PM
steelshoulder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was it, bad battery! Had it tested at AutoZone and came up Bad Battery. Put in a new Mopar OEM battery tonight and started right up no problem. Thanks for all of your input!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck won't start...clicking noise