1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1990 dodge d150 ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:01 PM
that_dodge_guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i read all of this i have 1990 dodge d150 and all i have to say is how on earth did you get a computer in yours sounds impossible to me ive never seen or heard of that before

Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 PM
mikehill2009

I'm having lots of problems with mine. I'm new to the forum and this is my first Dodge. I bought 1990 D150 for my son. Truck ran great, just smoked alot. Backed in the garage, took top end off, had the heads redone. Put it back together, no spark, no fuel. If I run a jumper from + side of Battery to + on the coil I can hear the fuel pump running, just cranks will not start. I can jump across the ASD relay and the pump runs, power to the + side of coil, still just cranks. I'm unable to turn the key for the codes because the check engine does not work, the bulb is fine. I put a new relay in still nothing. Parts store says a new hall effect is $80 and an ECM $220. I really don"t want to change parts based on a gues. I have now idea where to start. The only wiring that got disturbed was the harness that runs down the right side of the engine, wires for the Tbi, alternator, sensors on the intake and the distributor. Would appreciate some help.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

should really have started your own thread so people don't get confused by the 5 year old posts.

does everything else work? headlights, blower motor, wipers, stereo? have you checked your ground wires from the battery to the engine and engine to the body?

Old 05-27-2013, 12:45 AM
mikehill2009

Sorry, it wont let me start a new one. Yes, everything else works fine. I found only two. The negative from the battery to front of the left head and rear of the right head to the firewall.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 PM
MagnumD150

Im on the same boat. mine starts up fine runs great until i shut her off. then when ever she feels like it she'll just turn over. let me know what you come up with. I also changed the distributor. Parts aren't cheap for these anymore. If i come up with a solution i'll let you know, she wont do it when i want her to so diagnosing the problem is almost impossible right now.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:58 PM
newtjr
Amateur
Default Ignition problem

Try taking a hair dryer and apply heat over a broad area of the computer. With the engine running take the wooden end of a hammer and tap on the computer. Also I am not sure the hall effect switch/distributor pick up will set a code. Worked on these back in the day at the Dodge dealership and my shop but it's been a while. Hope this help. newtjr

Quick Reply: 1990 dodge d150 ignition problems