3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 1500 HEMI 5.7 2005 Start Engine Problem

Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Jochaga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 1500 HEMI 5.7 2005 Start Engine Problem

Hi, guys i removed the injectors for cleaning and service, after that i start to have problems with the enginestart when the engine is hot mostly, sometimes i see black smoke when it starts, i have to push full gas for the engine starts, i went to the dealer service few times here in Mexico, they changed the computer, the gasoline pressure pump and that did not work, they just don`t know what to do. i appreciate i you know what the problem is. thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 10:35 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ram 1500 HEMI 5.7 2005 Start Engine Problem

First guess is that one or more injectors are not getting power, or they're somehow connected in the wrong order. Black smoke is unburned fuel. You shouldn't have to press the gas at all when starting. That's from the days of carbs and distributors.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM
bigskycowboy

Obvious combustion problem, are you gettingany fault codes, inspected the coil wire and dist cap assymbly, have timing checked? SOme dealers don't go through all that. You have to go throught the firing process. Gas-air-comustion-exhaust; your truck should still run even when there are miss fires from cylanders. If it won't start, you have more problems than just an injector.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:42 AM
daytona1680
Veteran

what was the reason for removing the injectors and cleaning them in the first place? From reading your post it sounds like the problems started after removing the injectors, is this correct? If it is maybe you forgot to hook something back up, or got some dirt in one of the injectors before hooking it back up.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 AM
08sxt

Daytona1680 is right on the money about the problem being related to the injectors. My first thought is that either you accidentaly got some dirt in the injector or one of the injector o-rings got cut and isn't sealing right. Most likely its an o-ring on the bottom of the injector not sealing. It won't leak any fuel from the bottom o-ring, but it will have a vacuum leak there and will cause hard starts, rough idle, bad MPG etc. To find out if that is your problem and which one it is, let your truck idle get a can of carb cleaner and spray a small amount around the bottom of each injector. If one of the o-rings isn't sealed you will hear the idle speed change noticeably because the carb cleaner is getting sucked into the engine through the vacuum leak. Hopefully that is the problem, it should be a cheap and easy fix. Obviously do this when the engine is cold, use a small 1 second squirt on each injector and be careful so that you dont end up starting a fire. I am not trying to insult your intelligence by saying that, but I can picture someone spraying a butt load of carb cleaner on a hot exhaust manifold and "accidently" and starting a bon fire..... Hope this helps you

Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, sounds like you created your own issue on this one. There should not be any reason to pull injectors off a 2005 to clean them unless it has well over 100K miles.

I am going to assume you do not have a check engine light, would should eliminate any misfire or power/connection issue to the injectors. That would leave the seal issue, or possible dirt/faulty injector.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:42 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigskycowboy

Obvious combustion problem, are you gettingany fault codes, inspected the coil wire and dist cap assymbly, have timing checked? SOme dealers don't go through all that. You have to go throught the firing process. Gas-air-comustion-exhaust; your truck should still run even when there are miss fires from cylanders. If it won't start, you have more problems than just an injector.
No distributor cap or coil wire on these trucks, just coil packs and plug wires. His '05 maynot even have the plug wires. I'm not sure when those went away. My '03 Ram has 'em, but my '06 300 does not. Sounds like it's running, just not well. I think the folks pointing to accidental injector damage may be pretty close. Good question posed, though -- why mess with the injectors at all? I bet they're good for 150-200K with no attention at all, 'cept for fuel system cleaning every so often.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:55 PM
brujojax

Hello, I have the exact problem... Help!!! The 05 ram hemi 5.7 won't start when warm without pressing the gas peddle. I have replaced the fuel pump, crank sensor, cam sensor, plugs, cleaned the throttle body, tested the fuel pressure with a gauge, battery, nothing. Starts right up cold but not when warm??????

Old 02-19-2010, 07:23 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

So, it starts when it's warm, but you have to press the gas peddle? After you get it cranked does it stay started, run rough?? First thing if you've checked all that is maybe the throttle position sensor? No codes thrown either?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 PM
chrisy1961
Rookie

My 04 did this when I first got it with 35,000 miles on the clock. It finally threw a CEL and it ended up being an O2 Sensor. Don't remember which one but that cured it. I have a remote start that starts instantly and the truck has 100,650 miles on her now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram 1500 HEMI 5.7 2005 Start Engine Problem