General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dodge ram running rich O2 sensor problems what to do??? !!!HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 04:47 PM
ss396chevelless
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge ram running rich O2 sensor problems what to do??? !!!HELP!!!

Here is my problem. The truck had 3 codes, O2 sensor bank one sensor one high volts, O2 sensor bank one sensor two high volts, and 02 sensor bank one sonsor one heater circut malfunction. It was running rough for a while so I changed the 02 sensor (sensor1) and it still ran rough. then after a week or 2 it cleard up and ran great for a couple weeks (with the service engine light still on) so i decided to clear the codes. well, within 5 minutes it started running like crap again, it is loading up with fuel, when people follow me they can smell it. Now it doesnt do it all the time, only about half of the time I drive it. A major problem is that when it is acting up it has NO power at low revs, you have to rev the engine and slip the clutch at high R's to be able to take off. Again, sometimes it is fine and I can take off completly normal. If it acts up while I am cruising, its basically, if the gas isnt 1/2 way down or further it wont make enough power to maintain speed or accelerate. Basically I am wondering what can be causing this. Obviously the sensors are reading correctly saying that they are rich (high volts) So the only things I can think of are possibly a bad Computer or Whatever it is that compensates for the vehical running rich. And I am wondering what that is!? does the computer just tell the injectors to apply more or less fuel or is it something else? My injectors were clogged a few months ago and I bought a set off ebay off a wreck (or so they said it was a wreck) could the injectors still be bad? Any insite to this would be very appreciated, I am not very happy with this truck, I bought it this fall and it ran good for 29 days. (Dealer has dicked me around Bigtime) Oh, Also, sometimes when you first start it it does not want to idle (this isnt very common, only happens once in a great while) but usually straightens out in a few minutes. I do have the Actron CP9145 autoscanner which moniters alot of things, so if there is somthing I can check with that let me know as well. Anyhow, Guess I should throw in the Stats on the vehical so here they are:

1999 Dodge Ram
5.2 V8
4WD
5 speed manual tranny

Old 12-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Red Ram Hemi 2005
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dodge ram running rich O2 sensor problems what to do??? !!!HELP!!!

Just a question, have you checked the fuel regulator?

Old 01-03-2005, 10:37 PM
ss396chevelless
Rookie

No I havent, How do you test it?

Old 01-07-2005, 03:13 AM
SnipeRT
Rookie

Attach a fuel pressure gauge to your driver's side fuel rail. The actual regulator is on top of the fuel pump in the fuel tank.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:51 AM
ss396chevelless
Rookie

i had already done that, it ran with good pressure untill I hit the gas, then it would jump around but i figured it was normal. Was I wrong or does this sound right?

Quick Reply: Dodge ram running rich O2 sensor problems what to do??? !!!HELP!!!