Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-14-2015, 07:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems)

Old 02-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Ben@tirerack
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems)

Hi Everyone, here is the latest update from Tire Rack on TPMS:

Tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) are now impossible to run from when buying a new vehicle. Every new vehicle made for sale in the USA has a direct TPM system as standard equipment. There are several exceptions though: the vehicle must have only four wheels (so no dual-wheeled trucks or motorcycles), and the GVWR must be less than 10,000lbs.

We carry all sensors for all Chryslers and Dodges up to the 2008 model year.

The basics of the direct TPMS is that it uses a sensor in the wheel/tire to wirelessly relay pressure back to the driver on some sort of display.
Some vehicles have a digital info screen that will show all four tire pressures (five pressures if spare has sensor) all the time. While others might just flash a low-tire-pressure light on the dash. There are also two different styles of sensors for this system: a valve sensor and a strap/band sensor. Only valve sensors are used by the direct system-equipped Chryslers and Dodges, although if you bought an aftermarket SmarTire TPM system, those use the sensors held on by a strap around the barrel of the wheel.

Although no current model Chrysler/Dodge has an indirect TPM system, I feel the need to explain it just to clear up any confusion. Any indirect system will not affect the choice of switching aftermarket wheels or tires. The system runs off of the ABS/wheel-speed sensors which €œcount€ the number of revolutions of each tire. If the right-front tire is low (25psi) it will spin faster than the left-front tire (35psi), so the ABS system will recognize this change and alert the driver with a flashing light near the gauge cluster and possibly a loud chime.

Chrysler and Dodge currently use several sensors from two different companies: Siemens and Schrader. The size of the sensor shouldnt be a problem for many wheels, but if the valve hole is in the middle of the wheels barrel, then obviously the sensor will not fit properly. The wheel industries are aware of the valve sensors and are rushing to get most of their wheels TPMS-compatible. If you have any questions about the TPMS-fitment on a wheel that The Tire Rack sells, I can look up the wheel and confirm if it will work with your vehicle.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Got Poi

on it doesn't which tire need air?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 AM
MissDodge

i have a Dodge Ram 1500 2010. I got a message on the dash telling me one of the tire pressures was low. I added more air to it to make it equal to the rest of them. But now the light will not stop blinking. It keeps telling me the tire pressure is low.
What is the recommended pressure for this vehicle?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The recommended pressure should be on a sticker int he drivers door jam, but I believe it is 36psi.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:15 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MissDodge
i have a Dodge Ram 1500 2010. I got a message on the dash telling me one of the tire pressures was low. I added more air to it to make it equal to the rest of them. But now the light will not stop blinking. It keeps telling me the tire pressure is low.
MissDodge,

I agree with LXman1 about the tire pressure. If the pressure on all tires are correct then I would suspect the sensor on one or more of your wheels is bad.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 AM
MissDodge
Thumbs up tire pressure

I think i figured out the problem.
the sensor was telling me the tires were low they were: 35, 37, 40, 38,
it kept saying "low tire pressure"
I just had the oil changed and i "assumed" they "checked" the tires
so I did what you said and looked on the door panel and it says the pressure should be 40 psi while the truck has been sitting for a while.
So i added air up to 42 on all tires ( i used a manual gauge and it said 42)
so i looked in the truck at it said the pressures were all 38. I did not add any more air because I was afraid of a blow-out. So i started driving. About 5 minutes of driving, the "low tire pressure" sensor went off but its still telling me that the pressures are still 38.
Well, at least I dont have the sensor flashing at me all day long.
im still dumb-founded ( or maybe just dumb )
Thank you all for your help

Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MissDodge
If it blinks, that means one or more is dead. If it is solidly ON, then it is low.
the dealership and many Tire stores like Just tires and discount tires have equipments for TPMS service. I can't speak for other, But the dealership I work for don't charge customer to "diagnose" bad TPMS.
In order to get rid of the light, I recommended to inflate the tire at least 4psi above placard pressure. If placard is 36, and you set it to 36, it will not go away. Of course, once it goes away, it will not come back on unless one of the tire drops below 30psi.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:41 AM
griptire12

Take a tour of GRiP Tire, find out more about Our Locations - or try our Tire Search features or view our Tire Videos.

Grip Tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems)