1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P0720 Output Speed Sensor Curcuit

Old 01-30-2008, 09:17 PM
2begood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0720 Output Speed Sensor Curcuit

To anyone out there??? I've never had a Dodge Durango before, and attempted to pass emission, and got this error? How easy would it be to replace the Speed Sensor Curcuit? And where would it be located?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:09 PM
kjun
Professional
Default RE: P0720 Output Speed Sensor Curcuit

Should be the speed sensor on the transmission. I can't remember for sure,but I think I paid about $20 (Checkers)and it took about 5-10 minutes to change is out.

Remove plug

Unscrew sensor

Srew in new sensor

Reinstall plug.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

On the top of the rear axle.

Also there is a transmission output sensor on the drivers side of the transmission that could be your trouble. They kinda go hand in hand.

Try the rear axle speed sensor first.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 AM
kjun
Professional

Respectfully disagree with you hydrashocker.

Yes there are 2 speed sensors but I did not think they were directly related. The one on the tranny is used with engine control and the one on the rear axle was primarily the braking (ABS) system.

When I got my P0720 code it was the tranny sensor. Ithought the rear axle sensor was most common when triggering the ABS/Brake lights. Didn't think it was related to 0720.

My 2 cents. If I'm wrong I'm sorry and I welcome the correction.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:14 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

2begood
You didn't state what yearthe durango is. 2000 to 2003 could have a 45rfe transmission.In which case you would have two turbine speed sensors on the trans. one is input and the other is output. The sensor on this transmission are interchangeable, the input and output are the same part number. But if you only have a 5.2 / 5.9 engine then the only sensor for the P0720 code is on the transmission. The rear axle is for the ABS, unless you have a CAN bus system. In which case the wheel sensors are now for the speedometer on NAG1 transmissions.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Thanks Master.

kjun

Now if it is the 46 RE trans there is only one (Trans Output Sensor) The rest of the trans is basicly manual.

Now we all need more information right. Year, Motor, Trans, and anything else to help us out.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 PM
rustyscrapy dodge
Default i have a code 0720 i have changed the part but is still broke

i own a 99 dodge durango with a 5.9 and a 4 speed transmission i need help i own the durango from hell it start with the speed ometer going crazy then 2 weeks later it started down shifting going down the interstate now it wont shift to 3rd or 4th gear i had the code read out its 0720 i replaced the senser on the transmission 3 times and the one on the rear end once and its still not working i also replaced the tps now i am just guessing at whats the next part to throw at it? i need help befor i just buy gas and set it on fire!

Last edited by rustyscrapy dodge; 06-25-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:29 PM
rustyscrapy dodge

i an thinking about replacing the govenor pressure sensor and seloind any help to fix this would be awsome!

Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 AM
JRSTEWART
Question

Originally Posted by kjun
Respectfully disagree with you hydrashocker.

Yes there are 2 speed sensors but I did not think they were directly related. The one on the tranny is used with engine control and the one on the rear axle was primarily the braking (ABS) system.

When I got my P0720 code it was the tranny sensor. Ithought the rear axle sensor was most common when triggering the ABS/Brake lights. Didn't think it was related to 0720.

My 2 cents. If I'm wrong I'm sorry and I welcome the correction.
Well my dodge has same code, replaced sensor on tranny and still has code. It will not erase at all. could it be the sensor on rear end?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

rusty<---- I know it's late but if you check this post I would replace the transmission output sensor. It is on the drivers side mid way on the body.

JR<------- kjun is wrong in that post you quoted. The transmission output sensor tells the truck it's speed when over 20 mph (or around there) and it also tells the PCM it's speed. The speed sensor on the rear axle tells the ABS system it's movement and also tells the PCM it's speed when under the 20 mph mark (not to mention over as well). Then all these inputs are calculated to tell the governor what to do. It all works hand in hand. With that said I would replace the ABS sensor on the top of the rear differential. I also hope you gat the new transmission sensor from the dealer.

Then reset the PCM and reset the ABS. Last time I reset my AVS system I had to open the PDC under the hood and remove the fuse and install the same one from a different location. But I did this all with the negative battery cable removed and I also reset the PCM. That finally took care of the issue and reset the ABS system.

PCM reset instructions.

Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).
Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.
Start but do not hit the throttle. Idle for about 10/15 seconds then turn off.
Restart the truck and drive as usual. It will take at least 12 starts and 48 miles to fully retune the computer. Hard Codes leave a shaddow for 40 full cold starts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0720 Output Speed Sensor Curcuit