2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SCT Tuner - WOW!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCT Tuner - WOW!!!

I'm still only using the generic performance tune on this thing and I can't tell you guys how much it has opened up my truck's performance!!!
After all of the other mods I've done to date, this very nicely compliments them all! I will be fine tuning it soon, but even without doing that, this tuner is awesome!!! Under even light, partial throttle, the truck wants to jump. Under WOT, the thing runs like a racecar. Keep in mind that my truck is a lifted 4x4 by 9" and has 37" tires on it! This truck would have kicked the crap out of the 2003 5.7 HEMI 4x4 I used to have. Also, I have to give props to Andy for his writeup and suggestion to me on setting the cam 4* ret. The faster the engine runs, the more I get pushed back in my seat! I am soooo pleased with the results...

Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SCT Tuner - WOW!!!

Where did you get the SCT Tuner and how much was it? I was thinking of a Hypertech but this may be a better option.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:29 PM
ron333
Captain

I don't personally have experience with Hypertech, but from what I have read they can do as compared to what SCT has, I have to vote for SCT all the way. Not only are you getting a handheld tuner with 3 different programs of your choosing that are specifically designed for your vehicle and the mods you've done, it will also read and clear trouble codes and it is also supposed to be a real time data logger. He will even adjust the programs for you for any future mods you do at no charge, as long as it doesn't involve adding a turbo or supercharger or any major mods. If the mods are major, he will only charge something like $50 as long as you bought you tuner from him. I haven't yet tried anything with the live data logging feature yet. I need to get more info from the guy I bought it from. The cost, to my door, was at the sale price of $569 and this guy is from KRC Performance in Cary, NC. I think the normal price is $619 shipped. He was very quick to get it to me and he started with 2 tunes until we get it tweaked. The first being mild and the second for performance. He left on Saturday for vacation and will be back this upcoming weekend. I will PM you with his contact info.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:38 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

I was gonna go with the SCT tuner but i got such a run around with my 96 ram i said the hell with it..one min it work , next min i need a 5.9 pcm for it to work , or i need to call my nearest SCT dealer , this is coming from SCT them selfs.. So i spent 265 on a new mopar pcm , and if i upgrade that pcm ill go with B&G much cheaper , and they seem to want your bussiness....

Old 01-29-2008, 04:47 PM
ron333
Captain

Yeah, I actually am using a PCM from a 1996 5.9L that I used to have. The Florida SCT rep told me that the 5.2L PCM number I gave him was not compatible with their software, but the 5.9L PCM was. The only question I was asked by the actual guy I got it from was what injectors my engine has. I contacted 2 different local dealerships (to make sure I get the same answer) and they both told me that for that year both engines used the same injectors. The initial programming has been based on what he has for the 5.9L engine in the way for fuel maps to make sure we error on the sid eof caution I guess. He wanted to at least get me started with a couple of tunes before he left for vacation and will make any and all necessary changes after he gets back. He has been very helpful and responsive to all of my questions and I have to give a big "2 thumbs up" for the product!

Old 01-29-2008, 05:12 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

Hey Thanks , that clears that up on the 5.2 , 5.9 pcm that it works on the 5.2 now im gonna hunt down a 5.9 pcm and maybe down the road give it a try , i been talking to the same guy my self...

Old 01-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Yeah, I think for $300 I'll stick with getting a Hypertech... $600 is a bit steep for me, and I just can't justify that...especially to my wife If I had a truck like Indy'sI would go for it, but for my application, a Hypertech will be fine...and half the price Maybe one day I'll have a hot rod...

Old 01-29-2008, 06:06 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Interested in hearing more about the SCT as you gain more experience with it. I've had my eye on it for a couple of months and I'm pretty sure I'll pick one up in may.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 PM
ron333
Captain

I will be giving updates as things progress. I am working on sound clips and videos as well. My camara is supposed to record both but for some reason it quit recording sound. I got the manual out earlier today so maybe tomorrow I will be able to get it done.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:01 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

Willthe 5.9 pcm make a big difference on the 5.2 ???

Would it overfuel the motor if it was stock????

If it does make a difference i might do to a junkyard and get a Pcm out of a 5.9 and put it my truck..........Seems like a cheap mod....

Also whats the spread on the years, Say i have A 1996 truck could i use a 97 Pcm??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCT Tuner - WOW!!!