Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Can I change out my struts and shocks myself?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM
74scamp
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I change out my struts and shocks myself?

I know some of you have changed struts and shocks. How difficult is it to do. I'm not without some mechanical knowledge, just wondering if its something I can do in my garage? Any tips or secrets to doing it?

Thanks,

dave

Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Can I change out my struts and shocks myself?

ORIGINAL: 74scamp

I know some of you have changed struts and shocks. How difficult is it to do. I'm not without some mechanical knowledge, just wondering if its something I can do in my garage? Any tips or secrets to doing it?

Thanks,

dave
It can be done, with the proper tools. I will definitely tell you from personal experience that it can be a royal PITA.....but its definitely worth the savings in money if you can do it yourself....

Consider that most places charge between $750 and 1000 to replace all 4....and you could get the parts and do them yourself for not even half of the price.

Again, its not something I would recommend for everyone to do. If you have limited knowledge or time, it can be a full weekend project if you take your time and do it right. I yanked my struts on my Beretta....took me a day and a half.....but it was just me doing it....and the car was already minus its transmission (I dropped my 2nd one racing it )

Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

The rear shocks are not bad. I did mine when installing sway bars, you unbolt the rear end assembly (4 bolts) with a hydraulic jack under the diff and drop it roughly 4-5 inches. Unbolt the shocks then run her back up.

The front struts aren't hard but I had an issue with the KW springs being tapered towards the bottom, my spring compressor wouldn't fit onto it. I took the OEM springs off the struts and then took the new springs/strut/top hat to Firestone and had them compress the spring and assemble it for me for 80 HEMI bucks. Just take off the OEM strut assembly and your new springs/struts and have them do it <= you avoid messing with those nasty springs this way.

The only somewhat special tool you need is a tie rod end puller (see attached pic).

[IMG]local://upfiles/33009/893537201D444DB2A96C5FF16B0C2A22.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2008, 09:47 AM
74scamp
Record Breaker

Thanks, guys! I have the tools - even the tie rod puller. I am planning on getting Monroe Sensi-Track units, and putting the stock springs back on. I'll put the springs on before putting the units in, so hopefully, that will help. I'll take the struts to my son and have his guys compress and assemble the springs and struts.

Thanks, again.

dave

Old 01-09-2008, 04:30 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

The KW coilovers didn't come with the strut top so I had to wait to get the OEM's off and re-use the strut top.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:08 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

I'm not sure if the Monroes some with the strut tops or not. Time will tell.

dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I change out my struts and shocks myself?