3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 hemi engine oil capacity not 7 qts???

Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 PM
TwoZs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 hemi engine oil capacity not 7 qts???

OK, so here's how the story goes.I had a coupon for a free oil change at the dealer where I bought the truck, so I took it in for the first oil change on Monday. I go the truck back and checked the oil level before I left the dealership...it was about 1 qt over serviced. I talked to the service advisor and he agreed that this was not correct, so he took it back to the tech. 15 minutes later they bring my truck back and say it's good to go. I asked how much they had to take out and he replied "none, I put 7 qts in and that's what the book calls for". So the service advisor says to me that I should drive it for a couple of days and see what it does...WTF. I took it back again today and talked to the service manager and he had them change the oil again because the receipt they gave me also said that they put 5w-30 in it. So 20 minutes later they bring the truck back again and say it all ready, so I check the oil and it's over serviced again by at least 1/2" in the dip stick. End of the story I made them deservice it to the correct level on the dip stick which would put the capacity at about 6 1/4 qts. So, here's my question...should I run it with 7 qts and be over serviced on the dip stick or keep it withinthe correct range on the stick? Has anybody else ran into this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07 hemi engine oil capacity not 7 qts???

well I would rather have a little too much oil than too little. But you got to remember oil does burn off and down the road you might be putting an extra quart in.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 PM
MoparMan61L

We do hemi oil changes all day long at my dealership, we use7 quarts and never have a problem. If they use bulk oil the oil drops may be putting out too much oil when they set it to 7 quarts.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:44 PM
sddunn2
Professional

i would think the mark on the dip stick is where you would want the oil to sit after the motor has sat for about 2 min sounds like they are overfilling it to me . I would have asked for it to be drained out and put to the correct level !!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 AM
ray97
Veteran

I always thought that running an engine over filledwas worse than running a little low. Anyway that is crazy that the tech told you to drive it like that and lets see in a couple days.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:20 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was over full on the lot, but they fixed it before I picked the truck up. Since then I've had Firestone do my oil changes, b/c the manager is a close personalfriend, and he does the work on my truck personally, not to mention their service receipts are second to none. They have filled it to the correct level on all 3 changes. Personally I wouldn't run my truck with too much oil. I'm no expert by any means, but they're has to be a reason dodge (and all other manufacturers) put a FULL mark on the dipstick.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:30 AM
hemiman4ever

remember also that that extra oil could put undue strain and pressure on seals and gaskets causing them to leak.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:34 AM
TwoZs

Thanks for the responses. From what I understand overserviced oil could cause extreme oil pressure and foaming. I'm going to keep it in the range on the dip stick, butI wonder if there is any chance that my truck has the wrong dip stick.
Has anybody changed their oil/fliter and used less than 7 qts?

Jim

Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Doesn't the 7 qt INCLUDE what goes in the filter? So if the tech pre-filled the filter and then dropped 7 QT in it it would be over. If the guy goes it the same way every time out of habit then it will be over the second time.

Manual says it takes 7 - I'd have to go w/ that and just assume the monkey doing lube is just that a monkey.

I'll tell ya for sure in a few thousand miles more when the Jeep needs a lube job

Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 AM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: hemiman4ever

remember also that that extra oil could put undue strain and pressure on seals and gaskets causing them to leak.
Can you say job security?

My oil changes through the dealer are always close to the full mark. Red

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 hemi engine oil capacity not 7 qts???