1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango cuts off at a stop

Old 12-16-2007, 08:11 PM
ceedeelight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango cuts off at a stop

When driving my 2002 Durango SLT, itdrives fine, but everytime I come to a stop light or stop sign the truck engine cuts off. I put it in park and it cranks up fine on the first time and I continue to drive until I get to another stop light. The check engine light came on for about 3 days, but then went off and has not come on since. Since the light went off I thought maybe the gas cap was not on good.

Does any one know what this is or has anyone experienced this?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:32 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts
Default RE: Durango cuts off at a stop

On a 3.9/5.2/5.9 motor it is common for the IAC to cause this problem. you may have the same issue (not sure which motor you have) it is a common problem.

which motor do you have?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:33 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CDL;

Do the key on, off, on, off, on exercise and see what code pops up in your odometer display.

From what you describe, could be a bad or dirty IAC (idle air control valve), throttle position sensor (TPS), or just a dirty throttle body.

Get back to us with the code, and we can go from there. Also, if your battery is older than 4 years, or is questionable have it tested.

Our Durangos are well known for terrible idle/driveability issues when the battery is on its way out.

Don

Old 12-17-2007, 03:36 PM
ceedeelight

Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking about going to get a code reader today after work. Can anyone tell me where to plug it on the 2002 Durango. I've never seen it done. Is it near a fuse box under the hood or is it in the interior of the Durango?

This is the 3rd time this year I've had a check engine light on my cars, so I've more than paid for the code reader. [&:] I've found a reasonable price one. Cheaper than the $130 the dealership wants to charge for "putting it on the machine".

Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 PM
ceedeelight

The error code is P0740 if I remember correctly. I do know it stands for Torque Clutch Control (TCC). This sounds like a costly fix. Does anyone know if it is?

CDL

Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

CDL:

The plug should be under your dash next to the hood release IIRC:

On that TCC code, sounds like your convertor may not be unlocking when you are at idle, which would cause stalling.

Others will chime in hopefully with possible remedies. Thanksfully, I have not had experience with that one yet.

Don

Old 12-20-2007, 03:46 PM
ceedeelight

Believe Me you don't want to experience this problem.

Long Story short.Hubby went to the Dodge Mechanic and it's gonna cost approx $4000 freaking dollars!!!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@][:'(][:@][:@][:@]

My husband said the guy said the transmission is shot. It's so bad they can't patch it. Gears 2 and 4 are pretty much trash so they have to order a transmission and install it. I do get a 3 year/80k mile warranty, but I really don't want to shell out $4K. I can't buy a reliable car for $4K, I don't want to make a new car payment for 5 years, and if I purchase a used car for about 8500K I still don't know what I'm getting.

This has not been a good year for any of the cars I own. My mom gave me a Merc Sable, it lasted 3 months before it's transmission went out. I sold it on Craig's list. I had a 96 Nissan Sentra. One day it just wouldn't crank, I was not going to put any more money into it. I sold it on Craig's list too. My Galant needs an EGR Valve, and my Durango needs a transmission. The only thing that works without any problems is my motorcycle, but it's too cold to ride and I can't put a baby car seat on the back. [>:].
Now when something breaks down I have to laugh to keep from crying.......

Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

CDL

$4K sounds a bit high for that quote. I would getsecond opinion if you are in a position to.

For $4k, you should be getting a brand spanking new never before used tranny.

Hard tobelieve there is that much damage with the only symptom being the stalling.

For there to be that much damage, something would have had to have disintegrated inside, and put metal pieces circulating thoughout the tranny.

Don

Old 12-21-2007, 09:57 AM
ceedeelight

Unfortunately I'm not in much of a position to take it anywhere else. My husband did say that as he was driving it yesterday (before he got to the mechanic), It was jerking extremely bad. Like when you get in and put it in drive, it would heave forward or even if you put it in reverse it would heave backwards. He also said that it acted like it couldn't find the right gear(s) go shift into. I love my Durango, it's been good without ANY problems for 5 years, so I guess I can't complain. But I do miss the days of a simple car with a simple fix. No OBD's to deal with. [8D]
But it is what it is. [&:]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Durango cuts off at a stop