2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

oil pressure light flickers at idle

Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 AM
drjgarage
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure light flickers at idle

I have a 2000 Intrepid. After coming off the highway the oil light comes on witha flicker. When the engine idle goes to 800+ rpm it goes out. I change the oil at 3000 all the time. Can anyone give me suggestions as to what it is??

Old 12-18-2007, 01:33 AM
delerius
Default RE: oil pressure light flickers at idle

So it flickers when decelerating and stays on until the engine idles to 800 rpm? or the light flickers and then goes out as the engine idles during deceleration? I would guess a flickering oil light during rapid acceleration or deceleration might be the oil lvl sensor with the oil shifting, but the rpm being linked to it? can you give me more data. (as adisclaimer I am not a certified dodge mechanic just a general car fixer)

Old 12-18-2007, 11:36 AM
drjgarage
Professional

When I come to a stop and sit at an idle the oil light flickers. Not at de-acceleration or slowing. Only at a complete stop. If I give it just alittle gas the light goes out. Thanks for the reply

Old 12-18-2007, 08:02 PM
delerius

Ok I have an 02 intrepid but shouldnt matter, and I am studying out its manual. What my guess would be is either borderline low pressure (failing oil pump maybe) I assume your not loseing oil. From what Im reading the pressure switch is a normally closed pressure switch that when the oil pressure is about 4psi is forced open and breaks the ground to the engine pressure lamp. If you feel your oil pump is functioning properly then check the switch. If it was happening at other RPMS I would guess it might be a lose ground or something but if the conditions are consistant , its either pressure is borderline low from a failing pump or the sensor isnt functioning properly. Just my two cents.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM
albinoone

Just finished with the daughters 2000 and had the same problem. At a dead idle in gear after thourough warmup the light would flicker. I installed a tee where the oil sender goes and monitored the oil pressure while driving (ran a mechanical gauge in front of the drivers wiper blade and zip locked it to the cowl outside the car). The oil pressure exceeded the dodge minimum so I installed the dodge oil pressure sending unit air vent mentioned in one of the other posts and in the tsb's and the problem was gone. I also changed to the Mobile 1 0w-40 foreign car oil since my daughter doesn't believe in warmup.[&:]

Old 02-05-2008, 06:09 PM
drjgarage
Professional

What is the post that you mentioned??

Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM
bluesfool

If the level is good, change the oil pressure sending unit before you do anything else.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Quig19
Rookie

Where did you find this post My 02 Intrepid is doing the same thing. I have tried fixing it with my snap-on scanner and everything. Let me know where I can get this so I can get the wife off my back....
ORIGINAL: albinoone

Just finished with the daughters 2000 and had the same problem. At a dead idle in gear after thourough warmup the light would flicker. I installed a tee where the oil sender goes and monitored the oil pressure while driving (ran a mechanical gauge in front of the drivers wiper blade and zip locked it to the cowl outside the car). The oil pressure exceeded the dodge minimum so I installed the dodge oil pressure sending unit air vent mentioned in one of the other posts and in the tsb's and the problem was gone. I also changed to the Mobile 1 0w-40 foreign car oil since my daughter doesn't believe in warmup.[&:]

Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 PM
albinoone

My daughters car (2000 Intrepid) that I installed the 2003 2.7 into had the same problem. I had the cars computer reprogrammed per one of the tsb's because it idled too low at a stop in gear (500 rpm). After reprogramming it rose to 575 hot under the same conditions. I still had the flickering light sometimes so I installed the air vent upgrade (another tsb) that was mentioned by another forum participant. I still don't know how it fixed it because there's not much of anything to the oil sending unit vent but it did make the light stay out (under 30$ at the dodge dealer). Per the tsb I verified the oil pressure by buying a cheap 10$ mechanical gauge at Advance Auto and got a tee from the hardware store (brass one) then temporarily mounted it under the drivers side wiper with the plastic tube pinched by the hood being closed. The minimum oil pressure hot in gear was 10 psi at 575 rpm so I took all that off then installed the vent upgrade on the oil senders pigtail plug (no room, pain in the tail). I then converted to synthetic 0w40 Mobil 1 oil as recommended by another forum participant. The oil isn't on the shelf everywhere but it can be ordered by any parts store. My problem is solved and it hasn't done it in the last 3000 miles including city driving in North Carolina with the AC kickin. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 PM
drjgarage
Professional

Checkout this site to answer the problem I have as well as others....UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lot's of help there!!!

www.dodgeintrepdforum.net

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pressure light flickers at idle