3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Custom Subwoofer Box Anyone have these.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Custom Subwoofer Box Anyone have these.

ORIGINAL: casper3380

you can get boxes that will fit under your back seat that will work fine. they have the standard .65 cu ft ofr the 10" model. Subs of high class are designed to work in that airspace range, and will give a great output. These small enclosure woofers are designed to work in these size enclosures. I have had 10's in .65 cuft (which is what size the enclosures come in) and they hit hard, deap, with good output. The only limitation is you have to find one that will fit the limited installation depth that placement requires, but there are a good number of drivers that will fit. As for box shape, the varied shape of these enclosures wont really effect output, the driver is more concerned with the airspace itself. The square enclosure, non-filled, can cause a wave effect with the square shape. As I have read, perfect square shapes arent good for sub bass frequencies. As for manufacturers, I would recommend MTX or Qlogic. MTX's box is for 2 tens and was computer designed to match the quad cabs acoustics. The Q-logic box is a single but the make one for each side, so you can have one or two. Also, the mtx has a powered option which comes with two ten inch drivers and built in 200 watt Rms amplifier, that is matched to the drivers in the enclosure. There is a company that makes a box for the front, but it sacrifices the center seat (nto the armrest) and only with tthe 60/40 bench. I hope this helps you out m8.
well first of all the "class" of the sub has nothing to do with the amount of airspace it is designed to work in. As you get a bigger sub with more power it needs a bigger enclosure to have the airspace it needs lol. It has absolutely nothing to do with the "class" of the sub. For example the Rockford fosgate T2 which is one of the baddest subs out there is recommended to have either 1.9 cu ft or was it 2.5 I forget lol. if you put a t 2 in a box of .65 cu ft it would not even come close to doing what it could in fact it'd probably blow out from not having the proper air cushion behind it to stop it from bottoming out. or the 12w3v2 another high class sub that is recommended to have a 1.75 or 1.5 cu ft enclosure. hmm these subs are all high class yet are meant to be used in a airspace much larger than .65 cu ft. and is that .65 cu ft before or after the sub is in???

and yes shape does have a lot to do with how a sub performs. A nice square will outperform some crazy lookin box with bends and all sorts of strange angles anyday. and as for teh wave of the square shape more has to do with the harsh angles at the edges wehre there's a 90. easiest way to do that is to make it a 45 with resin and basiccaly filling in a bit. makes it much easier for air to flow and gets rid of the turbulence you speak of. which can happen even more when you've got a crazy lookin box with lotsa hard corners and edges. you want smooth edges otherwise you get turbulence in the enclosure which can hinder performance and sq. for example always round the edges of the port for a ported box otherwise you get "port noise"

Old 09-02-2007, 12:38 AM
ttuguy1983
Veteran

best way to go is custom. prefab boxes are ok if you just want to make a bunch of incoherant noise. If you have the tools build the box yourself. i built my own box and system from scratch as i have always. Every sub/amp combination has it's own special requirements.

you can see the box in this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyezBzsj2Zg

Old 09-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Ben D.
Champion

how many cubic feet you got in that enclosure??? also how much rms wattage the amp pushin. the comp 12's are a good woofer and it looks like ur feeding em a good bit of airspace and the enclosure looks like it flows air real nice. Is it ported or sealed??? do the subs share the same airspace???

I totally agree with most prefab boxes that are made to fit into teh weirdest of places in vehicles because 99 percent of the time it's all form no function. yea u get a bit more bass and it's discreet but i'll take sacrificing room behind my seat and have great sound than have junky sound in some pressureformed plastic deal in my center console.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:24 AM
ttuguy1983
Veteran

No my subs do not share the same airspace. That's a quick way to destroy your subs. Especially if you don't know what your doing and blow one and then end up operating one sub in 2 cubic feet of space (destroying it also.). I carefully constructed the box with two seperate chambers each with about 1.1 cubic feet of airspace remaining after taking into account the volume the subs take up (10lb magnets are big). I packed each chamber with a good amount of poly fill wich probably knocks the airspace in each chamber to about 1.0 cubic feet or so. I have the subs wired up at 2 ohms to a rockford fosgate punch 1000 watt amp. one sub per channel and rms's at about 250 per sub. The first day i had them in they knocked my rear view off. More like threw it off. lol. The box is sealed (the best way to go i think). Gives a better sound quality. As for sacrificing any room. I didnt have to adjust my seat at all from where i normaly had it after installation. I removed the plastic tool tray to make more room for the box. I can use every notch of the seat adjustment except for the very last one. Guess i could use that one two if i wanted, but it puts the seat to close to the subs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyezBzsj2Zg

Old 09-02-2007, 03:50 PM
MexiRam
Professional

the set up like the one above that Hemiriden has is what im looking for. Where did you purchase that custom enclosure ?? Or does anyone else know where to get those custom enclosures

Old 09-02-2007, 03:59 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did everyone see where he put the amps on his ebay pics. HOw did he get the back seats to fold foward.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Hemiriden
Professional

ORIGINAL: MexiRam

the set up like the one above that Hemiriden has is what im looking for. Where did you purchase that custom enclosure ?? Or does anyone else know where to get those custom enclosures
I had mine custome made by a fiberglasser, If you don't know anyone than i'd suggest you go to your local audio store (by thatI mean REAL audio store... NOT best buy or anything) Audio extream, audio excellence, ect. They can get you the name and number of a custome fiberglasser who can make you any box you want. FYI Fiberglass is HEAVY! No big deal for a truck though.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Ben D.
Champion

heavy but most times much much much much cleaner looking IMO.

JW how'd they make urs I'm guessing started with a frame of MDF and then built off of it with glass?

Old 09-03-2007, 03:28 PM
casper3380
Veteran

Your right Ben. the T2 wont fit. Its is a competition specific driver and only designed for a vented enclosure. H wants good sound, not ot win a sound off competition . Now the T1 has a recommended airspace, sealed, of .75 cu ft which in the cab of a truck will work fine. Filling the box should be adaquite as to the space. The JL you also specified is a 12" driver and not even a consideration. 12" drivers aren't designed for that small of air space, they are usually designed for 1 cu ft when designed for the small enclosure role. You can find high end subs that will work. You have to look for speakers that fit the application. Yes a good pair of 10's will fit, you just need to find the right kind for you. The T2 is a great speaker, for competition and all out bass, but if you are looking for sound accuracy as a high priority, it wont be your best choice. Its a matter of what sound you want dictates what speaker you use. So if you want good bass combined with a good accurate sound, they make some great 10's that will utilitze the .65 Cu ft air space.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:59 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

Fiberglass is definitely the way to go in any truck. In our 2006 Quad Cab we had, I had a custom fiberglass box built to fit under the back seats. The thing with treucks is that they can or I should say they should have only 10's or smaller in them. 12's take up too much airspace meaning you need a box that will have more airspace. It is hard to make a box for subs bigger than 10's for a truck. Get a fiberglass box and enjoy! It will be money worth spending! Also, if they say you can get 12's in there... DON'T DO IT!!!

Quick Reply: Custom Subwoofer Box Anyone have these.