Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

power window passenger side not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:30 PM
RamExpress
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: power windows not working

[align=left]I agree with next2pool and not just because I'm in AZ too. My 01 Gr. Caravan side window became intermittant and would work after banging on the door panel. After recovering from the heart attack from the price the dealer quoted on the motor/regulator, I decided to take it apart and fix it m'self. Yes, there was excessive carbon build-up to clean. The main problem was the brushes were shot. When I went hunting for replacements, couldn't find the same length. So, I went to an electric motor service place to get a size that was bigger and ground them to size with the Dremel tool. Put it back together and works like new.
I'll spend a half day hunting around for parts and make them work anyday before I'll pay some idiot dealer $160 for parts I don't need, but that's just me.
[/align][align=center] [/align]

Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dorman products makes a complete regulator assembly with the motor for $65 at www.rockauto. Dorman has fixed the problems with the orignal design. Don't screw with replacing just the motor.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:08 PM
next2pool
Professional

Well, in my case the regulator is just fine and $65 is more than 0. Replacing the regulator is a fair amount of work. Even if the motor is shot, a $10 pick and pull unit and 20 minutes of work doesn't sound bad to me Contrary to many reports, the motor is easily replaced by itself.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 AM
shooter1

hey that's what i want = a motor that replaces itself!!!! just joking, there

my 99 Caravan Sport drivers side window just quit too, luckily almost closed position. however wife goes to Tim Hortons drive thru regularily so i better get it fixed soon!!!
my first inkling is to pull the switch panel and check connections.
then attack the motor.
thanks guys for all your suggestions and posting
and thank goodness for the internet and DIY forums!
Wayne in Calgary

Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

mine was messed up on passenger side.. used to have to beat the hell outta it.. instead of replacing it i pulled the door panel off.. took the 2 screws off of the motor to take out just the inside of the motor.. and i greased the hell outta the threads on the motor.. put it back in.. and havent had any problems with it since.. been a couple months now

Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 PM
jmharn
Default RE: power window passenger side not working

Hi...a newbie here...

Has the same problem on my passanger side...I thought I was the only one who has the problem...Glad to find this post.

Now...how do I remove the door panel again? so I can do the thing that Next2pool recommended.

Thanks guys.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 PM
jmharn

bump.

Please someone, can give a pointer on how to remove the door panel? Thanks.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:45 PM
RamExpress
Rookie

OK, first go to an automotive paint supply store and pick up a door panel removal tool for a Dodge vehicle and a bag of replacement plastic fasteners. The tool is flat, wide and made of metal with a slot to fit around the plastic door fasteners. Once you have that, remove the philips head screw behind the door opener handle and the one inside the handle you pull the door closed with. (this is for 3rd gen. Caravan, 2001-2006. I'm not sure what you're dealing with.) Now carefully slide the tool between the metal door and the plastic panel around the corner. You have to be careful not to scratch up your paint. Once you get the tool wedged in there, peek inside to see where the fastener is at and move the tool so it's surrounding the fastener. Now, just pry open. It will take some effort and the fastener will finally give. You'll hear a "POP" when it comes loose. Once you've got one out, you can pry open the panel and see where the next fastener is and keep working your way around the door panel. Once you get all of them removed, then you have to manuver the panel so it slides up and pull it away from the door. You have to guide the door opener handle through the panel as well, so it can be a little tricky. Once you've done that, you have to disconnect the wiring to the switches to free the panel from the door. After that, you're done removing the door panel.
Good luck! The first time is the toughest.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:36 PM
orangeglider

I have a 2004 Caravan w/ bad left side window lift motor. It first gave me problems a few months back. I removed the door panel and motor housing w/ motor and lubricated it w/ lithum grease. This seemed to solve my problem until now. The problem has returned. With the switch on, I have to grab the motor housing and wiggle it around to get the window to move. After reading the threads I'm gaining more confidence on replacing the regulator and motor. Thanks to all who offered up their experience. www.rockauto.com has a "A1 CARDONE" replacement part for $88 includes $20 core, it says "supplied w/o regulator". The photo seems to show what I need. I guess I'm not sure what the regulator is. The general consensus is that it's pretty hard to replace.Does anyone know of a link w/ some basic replacement instructions? Or would someone who's done it before be willing to offer up a basic procedure. Thanks!

Old 06-11-2011, 05:47 PM
akkoss
Default 01 window trouble

Originally Posted by master tech
all caravans have window regulator problems. Dodge tech has it right, take the door panel off and hit the window motor and hold the button down. It don't get any easy than that. If the motor starts working leave it up until you can replace it. And you try prying switches out you could end up replacing a door panel too.
hey master tech,
i got the same trouble raising the passenger window in my 2001 dodge grand caravan. Do i just remove the 2 screws in the door panel and slowly pull the panel off or is there some other tricks of the trade to do that?
Thanks
ajk

Quick Reply: power window passenger side not working