2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Engine Light Vacuum Leak

Old 07-05-2007, 09:39 AM
bigbill7501
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Vacuum Leak

The check engine light in my truck comes on and says there is a vacuum leak i trace down the cracked peice of line by the charcol canister. And fix it reset the battery and the light is gone and then out of no where its back on what is the best way to find all of the leaks.

Thanx....

Old 07-05-2007, 03:52 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Check Engine Light Vacuum Leak

Replace all of the hoses!
Sorry, I couldn't resist
What year, engine. Do you have the LDP? What's the new code(s)?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Check Engine Light Vacuum Leak

Best way is to get a handheldvacuum pump with a gauge on it. Basically you start at the manifold and throttle body, unplug a line, pump it up to 20psi, and see if it holds. Go to the next tee, disconnect the two lines going away, and repeat the process on them. You can also use a vacuum gauge with the motor running in much the same way. Its just harder to trace out the exact location of the leak because you have to work backwards.

You can check manifold leaks with a propane torch. Point the unlit stream of propane around the edges of the manifold. When the rpm's jump, the area you are pointing at is the culprit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Light Vacuum Leak