3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory faulty 4.7L V8 overheating problems?

Old 05-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Kenneth_M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory faulty 4.7L V8 overheating problems?

Hey fellas,

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7L V8 that is also found in the Durangos and Dakotas. At 50,000 miles the truck has overheated. The problems in hand are warped head and/or blown head gasket. The dealership has denied claim without any apparent reason and without opening the engine has called it "overheating and spun main bearings." The only offer given was a used motor out of a wrecked vehicle. There are no crate motors available for this engine, in fact the only "new" thing available from Dodge is a short block. They do not offer this motor complete. After contacting two respectable machine shops I was asked (before even giving information about my problem in particular) they immediately asked if I needed my heads resurfaced. Interestingly, Dodge is now offering free Hemi upgrades to anyone this year.This is now a big concern of mine and am curious if there has been any suspicionover the 4.7L V8that Dodge refuses to acknowledge. So, I come to you and have to ask...does anyone believe that there is some kind of faulty engineering on the factory's fault with this issue?

Thank you for any help.

-Kenneth M

Old 05-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Ben D.
Champion
Default RE: Factory faulty 4.7L V8 overheating problems?

Many people on this forum have 4.7's and have no problems. You have to understand that problems happen. There was a guy on this forum a bit ago like a few weeks had a hemi with 5k miles on it and a piston cracked and they put a brand new motor in it. Basically what comes down to it is**** happens. Is the truck under warranty? I'm guessing so because of the denied claim part.if they deny the claim because your truck overheated you need to contact chrysler directly, because it sounds like they are ripping you off. Unless you admitted todriving it for a while after overheating then maybe they have a reason to deny but sounds like you need to go higher up in the chain to get this resolved.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:09 PM
red_neck

Like Ben D. said Stuff happens. I have a 03 QC 4x4 off road with the 4.7. I pull a boat, trailer and other misc. stuff. I have 90k miles on it and have only had to address a power stearing leak (poor clamp design) and a heater core failure. There have been many threads with 4.7 problems but also threads with hemi problems so not sure if Dodge is trying cover anything up or not. Definitely call DC directly on your issue, sounds like the dealer is trying to get you.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:49 PM
deanj287
Captain

sorry to hear it man but **** does happen. Im sure your aware that EVERY car company has their glitches in even the highest priced models. Dodge is no porsche (they do R&D but not like the exotic makes do) or bently. still the 4.7 has been a proven engine for a decade. get a used hemi for a grand or two and call it quits. other wise is it still under warranti????

Old 05-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Ben D.
Champion

it's things like this that are exaclty why i'm not really a brand loyal person. I drive jeep wranglers cuz i think they are cool and they are fun things to drive, I drive dodge trucks because I think they look the best out of any pickup at the moment. Every make has issues, you just could have bad luck and had something go wrong when ur engine was assembled. I mean thnk about it some guy putting parts together for ur engine at the factory is having a bad day and decides to "forget something" ur f'ed from the start before you even got your hands on it.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:53 PM
funwithfuel

don't feel too terribly bad, although my prob is no where near as catastrophic as yours, i ain't too happy with my 4.7 either, how does that go ? misery loves company. good luck getting a resolution from DC I have no faith in their warranty claims support either.[:@]

Old 05-13-2007, 01:41 PM
pakaalbite
Professional

what is this free hemi upgrade thing your are talking about and what are the requirements that need to be met?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory faulty 4.7L V8 overheating problems?