Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Ignition Timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:26 AM
bvil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Timing

Hi People
Just had a question on ignition timing and can't seem to find the answer. Oh a few weeks ago I had a timing belt break on my 98 dodge neon yes I know ooh no the head the valves yes will valve job done and valves replaced.
All back too gather now but the timing belt on I just need to know where in the world are the timing markson thecrankshaft and camshaft to put the relationship between the crank and cam back to original position or at a firing position I’m hopping that it has some sort of timing marks. I guess I could do it the way I have done it before and that is, find the number 1 piston, and turn the crank by hand. To bring the number 1 to TDC and then turn the cam in relationship to position but I am not sure which piston that would be on this car. Going from the belt front side to the rear transmission side therefore, if someone knows where the marks are or how to do it better then by the above method, I would be grateful for any info.
Thanks
1998 Dodge Neon
2.0 liter
SOHC

Old 03-31-2007, 02:47 AM
neisg1
Veteran
Default RE: Ignition Timing

This link should help the DOHC and SOHC are somewhat different to line up.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_543405/tm.htm

Old 04-01-2007, 06:59 PM
bvil

Hi
Thanks for the link it was great guide do not know how I over look that one maybe my eyes just ran together it was late when I was looking. However, I still have just one more question that the guide did not address. Don’t want to sound too stupid but what is the firing order of this neon engine going from the belt front to trans rear I know that’s it not going to be as simple as( 1 2 3 4) in that order, and that the very first piston just happens to be the number one.I guess I could be wrong and it very well might be the very first piston but if it is not which piston is the number one in the firing order? So that I know which one to bring to TDC for timing the engine.
Thanks for all the help

Old 04-02-2007, 12:37 AM
bvil

Hi
Just wanted to say I believe I found the firing order so you may forget that last question and I don’t believe it [sm=insomnia.gif]most of the site's I have look at says it is in fact 1 2 3 4 one site even has a diagram but for others who want to have a look see orwho are looking forthe firingorder here’s the link.
http://autorepair.about.com/library/...bl-fo-4516.htm
Thanks again for the answers

Old 04-02-2007, 12:42 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes the neon is one of the few cars that have the firing order in the order the pistons are located....straight up 1-2-3-4....i guess there are a few things i should have added to that how-to[&:]

Old 07-03-2008, 02:41 AM
et_agus
Professional

Firing order is actually 1-3-4-2. It's also on that link above "Firing Order 1-3-4-2"

Quick Reply: Ignition Timing