Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

DIY High-Flow Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 PM
greenmachineiijh
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY High-Flow Air Intake

You can do your own high-flow intake like I did. I have the 3.6L so I do not know how this would work for the 2.4.

Step 1: Get some three inch exhaust coupling pipe from your local car parts store. they are usually three or four inches long. While you are there, get one of the generic cone style air filters from K&N or whatever is on the shelf. Ensure that it fits the three inch piping and is not real long and that it comes with a clamp.
Step 2: Go toy your Journey and take out the entire air filter box and snorkel. Three screws if I remember correctly and lifts right up and out. Also remove the box top from the rubber intake piping.
Step 3: Insert half of the coupling pipe into the rubber air intake piping and clamp down using the original clamp. Place the cone filter on the other end and clamp down using the clamps that are typically provided.

Your journey now has more air to breathe, a little cooler intake, and you should now feel some additional get-up-and-go. Plus it now has a bit of a growl to it.

OR the easy way is to just take that filter box out and remove the snorkel in the front. It is very restrictive. After removing the snorkel, you can also enlarge the hole or add more holes around the lower part of the box with a large drill bit or 1" drill hole saw. Either use your current regular air filter or replace it with a high flow style K&N or other. This will still add some pep and growl to your journey.

DISCLAIMER!!! I am not responsible if you do something wrong or break something in the process. I did this myself and I enjoyed the results.

Enjoy!!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:48 AM
EricVS0411

Just removed the snorkel and drilled about 20, 5/8 inch holes. Sounds good and feels much better during acceleration and cruising. Thanks for the info

Old 08-20-2012, 04:31 PM
greenmachineiijh
Amateur

Originally Posted by EricVS0411
Just removed the snorkel and drilled about 20, 5/8 inch holes. Sounds good and feels much better during acceleration and cruising. Thanks for the info
Hey, no problem!! This little "trick" I have been doing on a lot of cars over the years. This can actually be done on *******ly any vehicle and is so simple.

Quick Reply: DIY High-Flow Air Intake