3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need suggestions for build/swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 08:29 PM
jrrusso
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need suggestions for build/swap

i currently have an 02 ram 1500 quad cab with the 4.7 ive been diving deep into research trying too find the best/easiest swap or build too do thatll make some pretty decent power and ideas or extra knowledge is much applicated

Old 04-24-2024, 09:03 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I'd suggest the Superchips 3950 Cortex tuner. I used it on my truck when I had it and it definitely made a difference.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:05 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jrrusso
i currently have an 02 ram 1500 quad cab with the 4.7 ive been diving deep into research trying too find the best/easiest swap or build too do thatll make some pretty decent power and ideas or extra knowledge is much applicated
Are you looking at building the 4.7 or a completely different motor? The aftermarket these days is limited on the 4.7 the factory versions after around 06 are pretty peaked out for what they are, could get dual plug heads for maybe a little more git up. Upgrade cams and intake to 06+ style for some help. Im not sure if there's much available these days in the prime i think people were doing cam regrinds for a little more, might find someone that has a set, or someone that still grinds em.

As far as aftermarket builds a 318/360 would be an easy swap as it was same year available so all the wiring harnesses and computers are salvage yard found. Would require a trans swap i believe and maybe all teh wiring. Much more aftermarket friendly. I'm not sure if the 4.7 wiring/pcm could be adapter to a hemi, it wasn't model year available yet so I'm not sure what wiring/computer hoops you would need to jump through. Maybe an entire chassis wiring/computer/dash swap to and 04+. The could open the doors to alot of things, 5.7 - 6.4, anything in between.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:14 AM
jrrusso

looking at a complete aftermarket swap i suppose being as there isnt much i can do too the 4.7 im really just looking for ease of install and able too make some good power its really weird cause i see some people say an 03 hemi engine is a smooth swap for the 02 with the 4.7 then i see the other half of people saying how difficult of a swap it is its difficult too get a definitive answer which is what im trying too do

Last edited by jrrusso; 04-25-2024 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:43 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jrrusso
looking at a complete aftermarket swap i suppose being as there isnt much i can do too the 4.7 im really just looking for ease of install and able too make some good power its really weird cause i see some people say an 03 hemi engine is a smooth swap for the 02 with the 4.7 then i see the other half of people saying how difficult of a swap it is its difficult too get a definitive answer which is what im trying too do
Here's the thing. It's really not "difficult" as far as swaps go. There's no fab work. It's a parts swap if you have a donor vehicle to pull parts from, say a hemi that got wrecked.

But that's the thing -- it's a factory parts swap, so why not just unload the 4.7 truck, and buy one that came from the factory with the motor you want, and start there? And lord help you if you're in California.

The following 2 users liked this post by Prismatic:
Magnoom (04-26-2024), rtmtrrdr (04-27-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 12:40 PM
jrrusso

so mainly just swapping factory parts? and minimal too no fab work needed? and i just think itll be more fun too get down and dirty and build it into something cause its what i enjoy doing. i keep trying too find some definitive answers or showcase work/ guide on how too do it but i cant seem too find anything

Old 04-25-2024, 05:02 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

@Prismatic is right. And the difference between the 4.7 and 5.7 is huge. Less work and cost to get to the baseline, and you can spend your time/focus on tuning that base if you desire... 3.92 rears wakes up the 5.7. Spend your money/time rebuilding the worn out suspension.

Last edited by fj5gtx; 04-25-2024 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:36 PM
jrrusso

solid any suggestions on which year of hemi is best too use for ease of install?

Old 04-25-2024, 05:44 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd sell the 4.7 truck and get one with the configuration you want. Likely cheaper than a swap and less time searching for pieces necessary. Unless you can find a wrecked one on copart and swap it all over, that is the only way I'd do a swap - have the whole parts vehicle sitting there... and then sell the stuff you don't need. MDS came in 2005 for the 1/2 ton, I prefer non-mds for simplicity.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:23 PM
jrrusso

in my area theres a handful of donor trucks i could use more or less just trying too find the research necessary too pull it off im up for the challenge though

Quick Reply: need suggestions for build/swap