2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power Window

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 03:47 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
This job is done. I traced it down to an open in the red and yellow power wires right where you see them here. Couldn't tell with the naked eye nor could I feel a break, but the motor would stop when the wires were jiggled right there.

Broke out the soldering gun and spliced in some new wire. All back together and working again.

Still got all your fingers? Not missing any meat out of your arm? Amazing what cracked solder on a wire can cause.

Old 01-23-2022, 04:19 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Still got all your fingers? Not missing any meat out of your arm? Amazing what cracked solder on a wire can cause.
Cracked solder.... that did cross my mind too. I sure was happy to see my left hand.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:54 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep there's a lot of issues with the wiring to windows an doorlocks an controls too on drivers side door..
i found a short in my window control harness ..an a break in solder on control board at window lock.

Last edited by hidden1; 01-24-2022 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:47 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Late update to this story.... Well, the motor stopped working again shortly after my earlier "fix." Bought a China made regulator on Amazon and installed it... well that stopped working after about a month.

For ***** and giggles, I'd taken the original motor apart and found exactly what you'd expect. The brushes were worn down to almost zero. When the Chinese motor quit, I contacted the seller and they refunded my money, easy enough. Went straight to the junkyard, pulled an original motor out of a passenger door (less usage, plenty of brush life left when I looked), then installed it on the old driver's side regulator, which I'd had the forethought to save. I'm back in business now and the driver's window rolls up faster than all the rest. My advice... do not buy Chinese regulators. I pulled just the motor off the JY regulator and it was much cheaper than the whole shebang.

Worn brushes....

Last edited by Dodgevity; 05-23-2022 at 11:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dodgevity:
steve05ram360 (05-24-2022), V8Cowboy (05-25-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 11:53 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Late update to this story.... Well, the motor stopped working again shortly after my earlier "fix." Bought a China made regulator on Amazon and installed it... well that stopped working after about a month.

For ***** and giggles, I'd taken the original motor apart and found exactly what you'd expect. The brushes were worn down to almost zero. When the Chinese motor quit, I contacted the seller and they refunded my money, easy enough. Went straight to the junkyard, pulled an original motor out of a passenger door (less usage, plenty of brush life left when I looked), then installed it on the old driver's side regulator, which I'd had the forethought to save. I'm back in business now and the driver's window rolls up faster than all the rest. My advice... do not buy Chinese regulators. I pulled just the motor off the JY regulator and it was much cheaper than the whole shebang.

Worn brushes....

Up until a couple of years ago, most companies went to China for supplies. It's biting them on the tuckus now so they are starting to source elsewhere. Some here, but a lot in India and Vietnam. Currently, most of what you'll get is made of Chinesium. The one salvage yard near me to pull my own parts burned (again) and they can't get a contractor to build new building.. Everybody is backed up.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:58 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Up until a couple of years ago, most companies went to China for supplies.
The original window motors are Bosch & made in Mexico.

At the junkyard, I initially pulled the driver's side window motor because I knew it was guaranteed to fit but realized it had already been replaced with another Chinese motor. Tossed that, went to passenger side and that motor was original. Thankfully it fit and has the benefit of less usage. I thought about going to one of the rear doors but didn't have time to experiment too much.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:32 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Bosch, Hecho en Mexico. I remember when Robert Bosch was all made in West Germany.

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (05-25-2022)
Old 04-23-2024, 08:31 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Two years later now... rolled up the driver's window today and when it fully closed, BAM! , the glass falls down inside the door. Rats! I can't park in the garage so now I gotta tape plastic over the window and go junkyard diving again.

I decided to pull off the door panel and realized the plastic had broken on the trolley part that the glass is bolted to... this part goes up and down the regulator track. Well, a light went off and I remembered that I had put the failed Chinese regulator in the shed. Well, only the motor had failed on it. I successfully transferred the original motor assembly (left in pic) to it and slapped it back in. All the holes lined up and the gear you see here lined up to the Chinese one was well. Was done in an hour or so. Whew!

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-23-2024 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Window